Modifying Recipes

Patricia R.
on 12/22/10 11:46 am - Perry, MI
I baked a coffee cake tonight, with a streusel topping.  I found the recipe on AllRecipes.com, and instead of the sugar, I used Splenda Sugar Blend.  The streusl topping called for white sugar, but I mixed the brown sugar blend with the white.  I am so proud of myself, because I had only baked one other time using Splenda Sugar Blend...and that was zucchini bread back in the Summer. 

I plan on trying it with peanut butter cookies tomorrow.  This is fun. 

Merry Christmas a little early.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

kgoeller
on 12/22/10 12:32 pm - Doylestown, PA
Trish,

Congratulations on your success!  Just one note of caution...Not sure if you dump on sugar, but if you do proceed with caution... the "splenda for baking" and "brown sugar blend" both are basically 50/50 mixes of sugar and splenda.  They work nicely for baking, but may cause dumping...  If you were ok with the zucchini bread, you should be fine, but it's always good to be aware.

You might want to play around a bit with maltitol or xylitol (especially as maltitol is now apparently being carried by Giant supermarkets - name brand is Nature Sweet crystals, available in granulated, powdered, and brown sugar).  They can be used EXACTLY like sugar, with virtually no changes to most recipes.  No glycemic impact and no dumping...

Enjoy!
Karen
lynnc99
on 12/22/10 5:20 pm
But I have to raise the "sugar alcohol warning flag" on maltitol. Tread lightly, all you aspiring bakers out there - that stuff will take you OUT!
Patricia R.
on 12/23/10 1:58 am - Perry, MI
Thanks Karen.  I know the Splenda sugar blends have sugar in them, but the good part is, you are only supposed to use half what the recipe calls for, so it is minimal, and I don't eat a lot of what I bake...I just want to be able to have something when I am at my sister's on Christmas day. 
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

bvohl
on 12/22/10 9:56 pm
Trish,

I LOVE allrecipes.com!! I get so many recipes from there. I found a fool-proof peanut butter cookie recipe on crisco.com. Everytime I make them they turn out AWESOME. I use Splenda white and brown sugar and I am fine with it!! I have to agree with Lynn on the Maltitol. If I eat any more than one piece with Maltitol in it, I am sick!!! I only use it when I make brownies because it is the only thing that cuts through the bitterness of the cocoa powder. I have been adapting recipes for months now and it is FUN!! I have really begun to enjoy the whole experimenting thing.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Love, Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

kgoeller
on 12/22/10 10:13 pm - Doylestown, PA
Yes, sugar alcohols can cause bloating/gas/diarrhea for some of us, especially when consumed in too large a quantity.  However, for me that's better than eating sugar, as it is a major addiction trigger for me, and the "side effects" of maltitol help to keep me in check when a binge is imminent. 

K.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2676 views